Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Basic Instinct

Sorry this is going to be kind of long. As I look back on the weekend I really have to think hard on what went on. It is all kind of fuzzy. I don't remember what I did on Friday. Saturday is a blur besides meeting my new roommate for next year. But Sunday night is something that I think will stick with me for a long time. James went home around mid-night. I ate an apple, watched a little t.v. ( The Mask was on so I watched my favorite part then turned it off and went to my room). I then messed around the computer. For some reason I just couldn't get myself to go to bed. Around 1:45 I said,"Lindsay, you need to go and try to sleep." So I got up and went to my nightstand and set my cell phone alarm for Monday morning's class. I then went to the living room to turn off the lights and for some reason I thought you need to look out your sliding door and make sure everything is okay outside in the courtyard. And when I peaked through the blinds I saw a man looking into my bedroom window. (My window is on the same wall as the sliding door but the sliding door is in the living room) So I immediately jumped back and ran to grab my phone. I know I should have dialed 911 first but I called James instead. He lives thirty seconds away so he got here fast. But what was shocking to me was that he answered on the first ring. He told me later that he couldn't sleep for some reason. (He never stays up that late) Anyways, the man must have heard the blinds move because he was gone pretty quick. I just hid in the hallway until James got to my apartment. As I explained what had happened to James, we saw a cop walking outside in the courtyard. I told him what had happened and he told me that they had gotten a call from someone else with a similar story. Just as a side note, the cop reminded me ALOT of Aaron. James brought that up later so we had both gotten that same feeling....weird huh? And a cop too! Anyways all I could remember was seeing the man's red shirt. So I filled out a police report and the cop left. I could barley keep my hand from shaking to write clearly. I felt helpless. It is now about 2:30 AM and all I could do was bounce from my kitchen window to my sliding door window looking out. I wasn't looking for anything because the guy was surely not coming back after the cops had come. But I just couldn't help but go back and forth and looking. About 15 minutes had past and as I looked out my kitchen window for the hundredth time I saw a guy in all black walking very quickly across the apartment parking lot and looking over his shoulder. I told James but he assured me that it was probably nothing. But I wasn't so sure. I bounced back between windows a few more times and then saw the guy in all black at the apartments behind mine(I was watching him through the sliding door now). He went behind them so I called James over to watch with me for reassurance. About a minute later he came back around but a car had pulled into the lot and he took off running back around the apartments again. I yelled to James to call the police. I didn't care what I knew or what I didn't...he was acting weird. So while James got 911 on the phone, we waited to see what he was going to do next. He ended up climbing the fence and was now back on my side of the apartments. And was looking around and hunched down. The police arrived and at this point I had lost where the guy went. I started running from window to window trying to find him and as I looked through the peak hole in our door I saw him walk by. I whispered to James to tell the police he was walking towards Slater Street. As I was looking for the guy I saw a cop and began to feel a little better about things and then I saw James jump back from the sliding door blinds and kind of yelp. As the blinds swung I caught quick glimpses of lights and heard yelling from outside. The police had seen the guy and chased him right passed my door. I ran to the kitchen window and saw the man in black running down the street with a cop right behind him. Then I heard a cop car squeal and take off down the road. It felt like forever to hear anything back from the police (things move a lot quicker on Cops) but finally another cop came and told us that they had the guy in custody. But that was all they gave us. I had to fill out another report and this time James got to fill one out too! I don't think I got to sleep until about 6AM. And then had to get up for class at 8:30. And on top of all of that, Monday is my longest day. But my luck didn't end there...in my last class, that meets for 3 hours on Monday night, a girl said she wasn't feeling so well and about a minute later passed out right on the floor. So of course the VSU security came running and an ambulance came. My week has started with every kind of public safety besides the firemen (knock on wood). I just didn't have a good start to the beginning of my week. And I am still feeling the effects of it all. The extremely tiredness, the freakiness, the paranoia.
But what is crazy to me is that throughout the whole night, there were so many "good things" that happened. It was like God was not going to let anything bad happen. If I had gone to bed the guy might have broken in. James probably wouldn't have answered his phone if he were asleep that night. The guy came BACK and I my paranoia even though you wouldn't think you would see him again that night paid off. And why did I look out the window in the first place? I'm not sure why this happened. I hate that it did. I just wish I knew if that was the same guy and maybe he just put a jacket over the red shirt. I wish I felt better when it gets dark out. It's scary. All I can say is thank you God. That's all I have said since the cops left my apartment at 4 AM. Thank you God!

2 comments:

Tresa said...

Oh Lindsay...how terrifying! I'm glad your instincts were on high alert and I'm glad James was nearby. I really hated reading about this happening to you. I'm sorry. I love you!

sweetlittlelife said...

Oh Lindsay, I am so sorry. I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible all of that had to be. I am so glad that you are safe and that you had James. Hang in there!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online